T
Ballintotis Community Council banner
. . . . . . The Ballintotis Community Centre has now been built adjacent to the local Church. Well done to everyone involved and those who contributed in any way. Fundraising events supporting the centre's build and upkeep will continue through 2013 . . . . . . . . . .
Last Updated: 22-Jan-2013
newspaper
Click Here To Advertise In This Space
wwwgraphic
Home
today
Community Council
Community Alert
Crime Watch
St Coleman's Church
Weddings
National School
Parent's Association
Loughaderra
News
Tuesday Club
Ballintotis AFC
Picture Galleries
Daily Picture
Places of Interest
Farming matters
Services
Guest Book
Take a Break
Teen Scene
Kids Page
Pet's Corner
Useful Contacts
Contact Us
Help
Disclaimer

Ballintotas National School

School Crest

 

Playing Field required to lease
T
he Board Of Management of Ballintotas National School have decided to try and source a playing field within walking distance of the school. The intention is to lease the land  for a number of years. If anyone is in a position to help with this request please contact Dean Goold directly on 021 4631750 or call to the school principal, Ms. Marjorie Barry.

 

Site for new school required

The following letter has been sent to all parents of children attending Ballintotas National School by the Chairperson of the Board of Management, Rev. Dean Goold. Anyone with ideas or suggestions regarding the sourcing of a site for a new school should contact Dean Goold.

 

Ballintotas National School
Board of Management
Ballintotas,
Castlemartyr,
Co. Cork.

8th March 2008

Dear Parents,
It is under the consideration of the Board of Management to source a suitable site for a new school.

To date no progress has been made. People who have any ideas or suggestions should contact Dean Goold.

Yours Sincerely,


Éamon Goold
(Chairperson B.O.M.)


 

Developments 1898 - 2002

An overview of developments which took place at Ballintotas N.S. between 1898 and 2002.top of page

Wall plaque1898 - The present schoolhouse in Ballintotas dates from 1898. Prior to this the children of the locality were educated in the thatched building located near the castle. Conditions in this building were most unsuitable. The final Inspector's Report of the 31st. March 1892 bears this out as Inspector Craig described it as a "wretched hovel".

SchoolCanon Hutch P.P. Midleton acquired a small field as a site for a new school from Mr. Edmond Ahern and from Lord Midleton, the head landlord. £283 was provided by the Board of Works for building and furnishing the school and for fencing in the site. The builder was Jeremiah J. Coffey of Midleton and assistance was provided by parishioners.

The schoolhouse consisted of a two classroom building, one room of which was identical to the junior room today. The other room, however, had a stepped floor and was furnished with forms or long benches.

Back to Top
#top

1920 - It was necessary to provide an additional classroom in the 1920's to accommodate an increased enrolment of over 100 pupils. This classroom was added at the eastern end of the school and the expenditure involved amounted to £745.

1940 - A decline in the numbers in the 1940's resulted in the school reverting to two classrooms again in 1949.

1957 - The summer of 1957 saw electricity being installed in the school.

1960 - A water connection and flush toilets added to improvements in the 60's.

1982 - Additional improvements in 1982 included new floorboards, carpets were laid and new tables and chairs replaced the old timber desks.


Back to Top

M Collins plaque1993 - a half acre of land adjacent to the school was purchased for playing purposes.

1995 - the "old classroom was brought back into service again. This phase of its history saw it serving as another set of indoor toilets, a storeroom and a kitchen cum Library - a necessary development in this vibrant school's history. The existing roof of 100 years was also replaced and the chimney dismantled.top of page

1998 - a prefabricated structure was erected to accommodate the extra numbers of pupils who were attending the school and a 3rd teacher was appointed.

Wall plaque1998 - also saw the school celebrate its centenary with a weekend of festivities.

2002 - with the increasing number of pupils in the school a larger prefabricated structure was erected.


Back to Top

Principal - Ms Marjorie Barry

Assistant Teachers - Ms Annie O'Reilly, Mr Brian Fitzgerald, Ms Susan Howick Learning Support Teacher - Ms Martha Cronin.

 

Back to Top

Click to Comment

RTÉ Radio 1- RTÉ 2fm
Lyric fm
- Today fm
RTÉ Radió Na Gaeltachta
Cork's 96 fm - Cork's 103 fm
Cork's Red fm - WLR fm

RTE Live TV

B.B.C.

TV Progam Listings

Death Notices

Weather

All the Sporting Links

Area Map

Ballintotis OR Ballintotas?

 

See Ballintotis on
google maps


Ermine Moths 

Parent's Association

Picture Gallery

Sciath na Scoil Winners 09


Developments 1898 - 2002

1898
1920

1940
1957
1960
1982
1993
1995
1998
2002

Teachers


Midleton C.B.S.

St. Colman's Community
College, Midleton

St. Mary's Highschool,
Midleton

Midleton College

St. Aloysius College
Carrigtwohill


Scoilnet

 


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Services
Services


E-mail us